Hello Torque, again.

Published on May 16, 2007, 3:57 p.m.

games programming

Well, I've just begun to dig into the Torque Game Engine again, but this time, I'm building it on a Linux box. Once I downloaded the Linux source, it took me a while to figure out how to get it compiled. TGE's configuration is a little different than the typical "./configure and make" process.

First of all, I tried to make sure I had all of the development tools necessary to build TGE, including nasm, libogg, libvorbis, and libtheora along with any -dev versions of many packages. Then, once you unzip the source you need to issue the following command to set up your configuration:
make -f mk/configure.mk
This will display the current build configuration and it will tell you if it's valid or not. To get a valid configuration on my system, I used the following configuration:

make -f m/configure.mk OS=LINUX COMPILER=GCC4 BUILD=DEBUG \
DIR.OBJ=/home/brad/TorqueGameEngineSDK-Linux-1-5-0/build

Notice that I had to use an absolute path for the (optional) object Directory. At first, I just used "DIR.OBJ=build", which resulted in some compiler errors. Anyway, this placed all the object files in a directory called "build.GCC4.DEBUG"

The next change I had to make was in an actual source file. Apparently, GCC didn't like some things... I'm not going to post any details, but I did eventually get it working, so contact me if you're interested.

Good Luck!
comments powered by Disqus