In addition to the traditional ways to kill a process, this tutorial lists some magic SysRq key combinations that--if enabled in your kernel--can provide a nice option to just pulling the plug...
- Alt+SysRq+K - Kills all processes (SIGKILL / kill -9)
- Alt+SysRq+E - Terminates all processes (SIGTERM / kill -15)
- Alt+SysRq+I - Interrupts all processes (SIGINT / kill -2)
- Alt+SysRq+U - Force unmount and remount of all filesystems readonly
- Alt+SysRq+S - Syncs all disks
- Alt+SysRq+B - Reboots
(Note to self, and any other developers: When using a language without built-in garbage collection, don't forget to free up memory when you're done!) comments powered by Disqus