This post, a followup to my previous post, is now about 2 months overdue. I have to admit, I'm glad I participated in SiteSprint, but I'm fairly disappointed in the amount of work that I accomplished. So, without further ado, here's the update on what happened.
- Set up a Django stack running nginx, gunicorn, postgresql
- Set up Mezzanine
- Migrated my blog posts and comments from Blogger
For a weekend of work, this really wasn't too bad. I like Mezzanine for publishing, and I like being in control of my own content and web stack again. I still have plans for integrating other apps for my own personal use, so having this stack available is worth a lot to me.
These are the things that I knew would be most difficult to accomplish.
- Design & Typography.
- Modern HTML
- Housecleaning - fixing imported blog posts
I really don't like the current design of this blog. It's close to what I want, but not quite. The 960 CSS framework comes bundled with Mezzanine, so I tried to use that. I'm much more familiar with Blueprint, and at some point, I'd like to completely revise the layout and design of this site using it.
I actually did spend quite a bit of time reading about typography (specifically The Elements of Typographic Style Applied to the Web). I think I learned quite a bit, but still just enough to know that for the most part, I'm doing it wrong. I'd like to remedy this, as typography is an incredibly important subject.
I'd also planned on using more modern markup for the layout of this site with elements such as <nav>, <header>, and <footer> for page layout and <article> for blog entries. In addition, many of the entries imported from Blogger are littered with horrendous markup. These posts really need to be cleaned up, especially since much of the code snippets are now completely unreadable.
So, as you can see, there's still a lot of work to be done, and I need to buckle down and get this stuff done.
comments powered by Disqus